Photochromic LensesRaven & Macaw
Let’s start by saying, “Photochromic lenses are more like magic lenses, among other glasses.” These fantastic glasses first appeared in the 1960s with the power to stay clear indoors or in dark environments and turn dark outdoors or when everywhere seems dark.
They can be made of different materials, including glass, plastic and polycarbonate. Some people refer to these types of glasses as adaptive light lenses, transition lenses or light intelligent lenses.
Sure, you can’t deny that all the names suit it because that’s precisely what it does. But the main question is, how does a photochromic lens perform its magic?
Well, read on!
How Photochromic Lenses Work
Usually, it takes about 45 seconds to 1 minute for a photochromic lens to darken. However, depending on how bright the environment is, sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes before it completely darkens. And it takes about 4 minutes to return to its clear state in dark surroundings.
Chloride and silver halide are chipped in within this lens, making it darken when exposed to UV light. This is because the chemical reaction causes the molecules to absorb the light, which stays like that until it is removed from the light.
Mostly, it doesn’t work inside a car because the windshield of a car and most vehicles also grip UV light.
Advantages of Photochromic Lenses
For so many reasons, you should consider buying a pair of photochromic lenses; some of its advantages include:
- A good pair of UV lens provide 100% protection against UV rays
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor activities
- Photochromic lenses are comfortable to wear. They minimise digital eyestrain, oxidative stress and glare.
- Cost-effective; it is more like a 2-in-1 eyewear
- Your prescription lenses can be photochromic (talk to your optometrist)
- They come in a variety of unique styles and colours.
- Shield the eyes against blue light
- They guarantee eye health by shielding the eyes against UV and other natural elements.
Disadvantages of Photochromic Lenses
Photochromic lenses are fantastic to use, but they, however, have some demerits:
- It takes about 4 minutes (sometimes more) to reverse back to its clear state; this can be dangerous or uncomfortable if the place is dark.
- Not every photochromic lens reacts inside a car because the windshield of a car and most vehicles also absorb UV, so you may not have the best view you need while driving.
- Photochromic lenses have a limit of darkness they can’t exceed. So they work well for most people, but it may not be enough for some.
Even with the above disadvantages, these lenses are an excellent gadget. They deliver their purpose quite well. Moreover, more and more improvements are continuously made to improve their quality.
Different brands create a variety of excellent photochromic lenses. Below are the top best brands in the UK:
- Transition signature
- Photo fusion (Zeiss vision)
- Transition Xtractive
- Transition Style colours
- Colormatic (Rodenstock)
Photochromic lenses will never be a no-no; they keep the eyes safe and are cost-effective. So get yourself a pair today from our store.